With temperatures rising every day, heat strokes and dehydration are a major on-the-job risk. When the human body is unable to maintain a normal temperature, heat illnesses can occur and may result in death. It is also important to consider that hot work environments may exist indoors.
31% of deaths that are from heat exhaustion are contributed to being exposed to excessive natural heat. Working in conditions without air conditioning through the hot Summer months can not only be uncomfortable, but dangerous.
At Standard Tools, we have a manufacturing plant and warehouse. The staff that work in those departments, do so without air conditioning. On days like today, where it is reaching into the high 90’s … we get concerned for heat exhaustion.
Some signs of heat exhaustion:
- Dark-colored urine (a sign of dehydration)
- Muscle or abdominal cramps.
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
When body temperatures are rising, the best way to treat heat exhaustion is to provide a cooler environment and hydration. If you introduce fast cooling it can put the body in shock. Slow cooling is one of the most effective methods.
Some tips to prevent heat exhaustion:
- Plenty of water, rest and shade, every 15 minutes. Make sure water fountains are properly working, also place water coolers in locations that the employees often gather like break rooms and meeting areas.
- Gradually increase workloads and take more frequent breaks as you acclimatize, or build a tolerance for working in the heat.
- Trained personal throughout the job site, someone who is knowledgeable of the causes and effects of heat strokes and what to do in case of emergencies.
If you know your employees are going to be exposed to high heat and temperatures take protective measures. We keep fans at all workstations and have several Coolspace portable evaporator coolers. They take water and as it evaporates into the fan, it blows cold air and helps to keep body temperature down. The Coolspace portable cooler fans are designed to cool up to 4,000 square feet with a single-speed drive motor. We also offer a three speed cooler fan and a smaller coolspace with a 2-speed direct motor for your garage and small shops.
Safety is top priority during the hot summer months for you, for your employees and your family. Make sure they stay cool this Summer. Give us a call for your Coolspace evaporator cooler.